Steel Jacketing is a technique where retrofit is done with steel to structural elements. The principal behind this technique is that the steel jacket acts as a passive confined reinforcement. It has been widely used for strengthening technique to enhance the shear capacity and ductility of beams and columns.
- To increase the flexural strength of the structural member
- Prevents the concrete from dilating, forcing it in lateral compression and increasing its compressive strength
- Increases its effective ultimate compressive strain and its ductility
- Ease for working, reduction of dead load and cross-sectional area.
- The gaps are filled with non-shrink grout.